Sixty to sixty-five percent of women Face fibroids by age 50 in their lifetime. While common, they are often not discussed. Leiomyomas or fibroids as they are commonly known are fibrous tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus and are mostly non-cancerous.
Women can have a single fibroid or multiple fibroids and they can range from the size of a seed to the size of a melon. In most cases, the fibroids shrink on their own after menopause. Also read about PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which affects the fertility.
Common Symptoms Of Fibroids
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Passing clots during periods
- Dull continuous backache
- Frequent or irregular periods
- Spotting between two periods (breakthrough bleeding)
- Heaviness in the lower abdomen
- Enlargement or swelling of the lower abdomen
- Difficulty in passing urine, stool, flatus (pressure symptom due to big fibroid)
- Frequency of urination (pressure symptom)
According to Ayurveda, a uterine fibroid or ‘raktagulma’ is caused by the over-production of improperly formed Kapha and aggravated apana Vata.
Causes Of Fibroids
- Excessive mental stress
- Long-term emotional suppression
- Lack of exercise
- Consumption of Kapha and Vata increasing foods (particularly junk food, wheat, refined sugar, and excess dairy
- treating the physical manifestation and associated symptoms
- addressing the causative psycho-emotional factors.
Treating the physical manifestations involves Ayurvedic formulations, cleansing treatments, diet, and lifestyle changes that will correct the quantity and quality of the doshas, balance the movement of Apana Vata, kindle Agni (digestive fire) and stabilize prana. A khana (scraping, clearing) approach is required to both clear congestion from the digestive tract and channels of circulation, and to reduce the mass of fibrous tissue.
Ayurvedic preparations such as Gokshuradi Guggulu, Punarnava guggul, and Triphala guggul are usually prescribed by Ayurvedic physicians
- Avoid Vata-aggravating, Agni-depleting, mucus-increasing foods – raw vegetables, cabbage, large lentils, cold foods, tomato, red meat, dairy products, and raw fruits in winter.
- Avoid sticky, heavy, Kapha-vitiating foods (wheat, cheese, refined sugar) and especially curd as this dampens Agni and promotes Kapha dosha.
- Avoid refined, processed, and microwaved foods, which are agni-depleting, ama-producing, and devoid of prana.
Panchakarma therapy is advised. Full-body massages using dry boluses of ginger and ajwain powders are the ideal treatment in this condition, particularly if there is also abdominal water retention, bloating, pain, or poor circulation.
Home Remedies For Fibroids
- Warm castor oil packs on the lower abdomen are an effective home remedy for fibroids. Soak warm castor oil into a strip of cotton wool or flannel, lie comfortably on the back, lay the cotton wool on the uterus area, cover with an old piece of cloth or a plastic bag, and place hot water bottle on top. Lie and meditate like this for one hour and repeat the treatment every alternate day for two consecutive months.
- Include ginger in your daily diet: take a pinch of fresh ginger root with a few drops of lemon juice before each meal.
- Maintain the basic rules of healthy eating – wait until the previous meal has been digested before you eat again, eat according to your hunger, eat slowly, and eat freshly prepared food.
We recommend consulting with a qualified Ayurveda practitioner before purchasing our products